We are creating a segment in our monthly Member of the Month
show and our other upcoming shows focusing on book reviews of authors in the African diaspora. If you are a reviewer or have ever wanted to try your hand at it, this is your chance.
We need reviews of the newest works by members of this network and other notable authors.
• Your review will be posted in a new section of the website – the Reviews tab.
• You will deliver a short one to three minute version of your review on the monthly member netcast. Remember all netcasts are saved and will be listed in iTunes.
• It doesn’t matter if you have never done a review before – all are considered for the shows.
• Priority will be given to reviews of BAS member books and to the BAS posted listing of books to be reviewed.
• You can submit previously published reviews.
• Authors, publishers, or their agents cannot review their own books.
• Every book is not a lovefest or the best thing ever written. Please be objective and give honest reviews that will assist writers in becoming better authors. Say what must be said, but there is no need for ugliness. Example: “That was the lamest plot I’ve ever read. This guy should stick to his day job because he can’t write his way out of a paperbag.” The reviewer might say this instead “The book had a great premise, but I was lost in a variety of plot twists and storylines that did not connect. More time may have been needed for rewriting and editing.”
• We request that you post your review in Amazon and/or your bookclub’s website. When possible, with a link back to the Black Author Showcase™.
• Bookclubs large and small are encouraged to participate.
• Different reviewers will be used each month.
• Preference will be given to different genres from the previous months. All genre types will be covered: nonfiction, fiction, and poetry. Reviews linking to current events will be given preference.
Young Adult SciFi/Speculative Horror Romance
ChickLit Mysteries/Thrillers Children’s Historical
Urban/Street Lit Self-Help/Motivational Current Events Politics
Take a look at our member list, book cover albums, or the member bookstore under the Pages tab to find books from our members that you may have read already. Contact member authors that you are interested in reviewing after checking out the blogs.
Send your reviews to: BASreviews@blackauthorshowcase.com
Our first preferences for reviews this month will be for the recent NBCC
1. Junot Diaz, The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao
2. Edwidge Danticat, Brother, I'm Dying
3. Harriet Washington, Medical Apartheid: The Dark History of Medical Experimentation on Black Americans from Colonial Times to the Present.
See the forum article: NBCC Award Winners